Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 5 Triumph!

As mentioned in my last post I promised to give an update on our C25k progress.  For those of you who haven't been following along, my wife and I started a running program called Couch-to-5k.  Its available online at c25k.com and there are multiple iPhone apps to help you through it.  We're using one called Get Running.  The basic premise is to implement short intervals of running and walking to build stamina and endurance without all the pain associated with beginning running.  And I can tell you, it really works! Keep in mind I HATE running.  Or should I say hated. I think I'm actually starting to enjoy it now.


Week 5 brought us up to our first long run. Earlier in the week we were doing combinations of 5 and 8 minute intervals.  Remember, just a few weeks ago I could hardly run 3 minutes and just a few weeks before that I struggled to run just 1 minute. By the end of week 5 we were faced with our first 20 minute run with no walking.  Up to this point 8 minutes was the longest we had gone, so I was skeptical. But the most amazing thing happened...at about the 8 minute mark I had a "break through".  I can't really explain it but it was if I finally got into a rhythm and I was no longer thinking about my legs or my breathing.  Before I knew it we had completed our 20 minutes and I have to say it was one of the most exhilarating feelings I've ever had.  I can't even begin to explain the sense of accomplishment I felt. Coming from a mindset of hating something because I wasn't good at it and now actually enjoying it is an amazing feeling.  I'm telling you, if I can do this anybody can!

Of course, we still have a few weeks to get to a complete 5k and week 6  brought us an unexpected challenge.   We felt so good about ourselves after completing the 20 minute run in week 5 that we got a little confident. By not following the prescribed C25k rest period, we ran again too soon and really struggled with the next run.  I felt like I had concrete blocks tied to my feet. And it was only 5 and 8 minute intervals! We learned our lesson....follow the program!

Day 2 of week 6 will bring two 10 minute intervals with walking in between, then a 25 minute run on day 3.  We're in the home stretch now and I can see my first 5k on the horizon. If you haven't started yet, what are you waiting for?  If I can do it you can too. Comments and/or suggestions are welcome.  I would love to hear about your experience

No comments:

Post a Comment