Monday, January 31, 2011

This C25k running thing just might be working

After three...yes three!, attempts to complete Week 1 of the C25k Program, we finally made it through Weeks 1 and 2 and are making huge progress. The first time we started by the third day the whole family had contracted a stomach virus. I won't explain, but a stomach virus is not compatible with running.  That was the week of Christmas. After a week of rest, we tried again and succeeded at completing the first week. Unfortunately, the "Ice Blizzard" of  2011 struck and prevented us from starting Week 2.  I won't explain but, icy, hilly roads are not compatible with running. After another week off, we decided to GO BACK to Week 1 and start over.  Argh!! But, alas success!

Week 2  called for a 5 minute warm-up, and six runs of 1.5 minutes alternating with 2 minutes of walking. Monday was tough, but by the third day we had significantly increased our distance covered.  Remember, each week consists of 3 workouts with rest days in between. Each workout is about thirty minutes if you include the warm-up and cool down and included only 9 actual minutes of running.

Week 3 will be our first real challenge.  Each work-out will start with the usual 5 minute warm-up and progress to another 1.5 minute run/walk interval.  But then things get tougher. We'll run and walk 3 minutes each, then repeat both intervals.  Still only 9 minutes of running, but now we're increasing our stamina.

That's the whole beauty of the C25k program; it really does build your stamina.  My legs feel stronger each week and I'm sucking less wind.  We have consistently increased the distance covered and haven't once experienced the kind of pain that would make me want to quit.  And remember...I hate running.  Sure, I've had a few moments that I questioned my sanity.  And I'll admit there have been mornings that I really didn't want to get up that early, especially since it involves running. But I'm really starting to see the benefits in my overall well being and my sense of accomplishment.  And the fact that my wife and kids are doing it with me has been a tremendous help.

The Get Running iPhone app has also been instrumental because it keeps me on track. At each interval a pleasant British female voice fades over my music and reminds me that I have 30 seconds left, or that I'll start the next run in 10 seconds. I've named her Victoria, it just seemed to fit.  Of course, we have a love hate relationship; I usually love the sound her cheery, upbeat voice at the beginning of a run and find myself hating her cheery, upbeat voice by the end of the run. The app just makes it easier to implement, but the program has worked for thousands of runners before there even were apps.

The bottom line is this: If I can do it, you can do it. If you haven't started yet, what are you waiting for? Go to C25k.com and check it out.  If you don't have a smartphone, just time yourself and do it the old-fashioned way, but do it. And leave comments and feedback.  I want to hear about your success as we do this together.

Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this is awesome. But how do you deal with the cold??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple, bundle up. I'm wearing warm-up pants, an Under Armor Coldgear shirt and a hooded sweatshirt. A knit beanie under the hood keeps my ears warm and GLOVES are a must. I ran without them once and I was miserable. I'm using a pair of fingerless mittens so I can get my fingers free for the iPhone. The coldest we've run in was 23 degrees. By the end of the run I was pulling my sweatshirt off because I was sweating so much.

    ReplyDelete